What is 5MinuteFiction, you say? It’s an adrenaline-fueled, instant-gratification sort of writing contest. It’s open to everyone and, yes, that means you. Have you never done this before? WHY NOT???
It’s not hard.
* You get five minutes to write a piece of prose or poetry in any style or genre
* SPECIAL for our 1st birthday party: this week’s prompt will be a sentence you must use as the first sentence of your entry!
* You must begin your entry with: Another year of that and she was sure she’d go mad.
* Post your entry as a comment to this post.
I’ll close the contest at 1:45. That gives you 5 minutes to write and ten to accommodate the vagaries of relative time, technology, and the fickle internets. If you are confused or just want to whine, feel free to email me.
At the close of the contest, our special ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY guest judge, Roni Loren, @RoniLoren the host of my absolute favorite writer blog, *Fiction Groupie* and author of CRASH INTO YOU, which will be published by Berkley Heat in January 2012, will nominate five finalists. I’ll put the nominees in a poll, and at 9:00 EDT tomorrow I’ll close the poll and declare the winner.
What’s the prize? Usually, there isn’t one, but this is our ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY party, so of course there’s a prize. Prizes, actually.
For one participant, chosen at random from today’s entries: A five page critique from Roni Loren, a five page critique from me.
That’s right, you can win just by typing as fast as you can into that little comment box for five minutes and then hitting “post” before you pass out from the adrenaline rush!
And you’ll be added to the blogroll on the new 5MinuteFiction Page. So if you’re a past finalist or winner and you’d like your badge or to be added to the blogroll, please email me at your convenience.
A Few Notes:
* In the interest of time and formatting, it’s best to type straight into the comment box or notepad. It’s also smart to do a quick highlight and copy before you hit “post” just in case the internets decide to eat your entry. If your entry doesn’t appear right away, email me sometimes comments go into the suspected spam folder and I have to dig them out.
* I reserve the right to remove hate speech or similar but I’m not too picky about the other stuff.
* This is all for fun and self-promotion. So be sure to put your twitter handle at the end of your post and a link to your blog if you have one.